Saturday, July 9, 2011

Recipe bonus: Orange smoothie

With the uric acid concerns, I've been working on ways to kick more purine out of the diet. One thing is to pull out some meat in favor of greek yogurt. My husband HATES yogurt. Heck, I love yogurt and I'm not a fan of plain greek yogurt. My gut feeling is to throw strawberries in everything, but he's been turning bright red every time he eats them so we cut them out.

Sooo... I have oranges, I have greek yogurt, let's go!

Orange Smoothie

Ingredients:
6 ounces plain greek yogurt
1 large orange, peel removed, cut up into pieces
A few drops vanilla stevia

Preparation:
Blender. Go go go. You know what to do.

Verdict:
I think this may be a serious winner. It's filling, and he loves it. It tastes a lot like an Orange Julius, and I'm not even kidding - it's shockingly similar in consistency and flavor. It's desert, it's a fruit, and it's a good amount of protein.

Analysis:
The vanilla stevia hadn't been the plan. I'd forgotten about it, as finding stuff to do with it is harder than I'd thought when I got it. I'm sure this would taste great with regular stevia, but the vanilla rounded it out just enough that it came out amazing.

He says it's pretty filling; at around 19 grams protein for the whole thing, that sounds about right. The downside is that the whole thing clocks in around 200 calories, which is a lot. There's a couple ways to deal with this. For one, a half portion a day may be more realistic for some. This is also good for the person who sometimes has trouble reaching the 500 mark. My husband is supposed to be at around 800, which is HARD with his appetite and the fact that he can't eat out and about as easily. It's pretty normal for him to get close to the end of the day, and not know WHAT to eat. This is an easy solution that I can keep in some containers in the fridge.

So yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment